Registration for Confirmation Preparation:
For Incoming 9th Graders and those who have not completed the Confirmation prerequisites:
- Step 1. Click here to register for SH CREW. (Early Bird Registration fee is $70. Registration fees rise to $95 after August 15, 2018)
- Step 2. View HNOJ Confirmation checklist. (Click here)
- Step 3. Attend parent-student meeting (Sunday, September 23, 2018, at 4 p.m.)
For Teens Who Have Completed Confirmation Prerequisites:
- Step 1. Click here to register for SH CREW AND Confirmation Preparation. (Early Bird Registration fee is $155. Registration fees rise to $200 after August 15, 2018)
- Step 3. View Confirmation checklist for teens who completed Year 1. (Click here)
- Step 4. Attend parent-student meeting (Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 7 p.m.)
Key Components of HNOJ Confirmation Preparation:
Confirmation Prerequisites (Components that need to be completed prior to beginning Confirmation preparation):
- Weekly Mass attendance
- Attendance 6 First Sunday sessions
- Completion of 1 retreat following 8th-grade year (Passion Play, EFC, Steubenville, Fall and Spring Retreats, Men's and Women's Retreats, Christpower, NPH)
Components that need to be completed prior to the Rite of Confirmation:
- Weekly Mass attendance
- Saint Report
- Letter of Intent
- Baptismal Information Sheet
- Sponsor Information Sheet
- Interview with HNOJ Youth Ministry leader (SIgn up here)
- Participation in 12 First Sundays (hnoj.org/shcrew)
- Participation in 2 retreat opportunities (hnoj.org/youthretreats)
- Participation in 4 Confirmation preparation sessions (dates below)
FAQs about the Confirmation at HNOJ
What is Confirmation? Confirmation is a Sacrament that strengthens us and obliges us to witness to, spread and defend the faith (CCC 1303). Confirmation is not graduation from a life of Christian learning, a mere cultural passage into maturity or an opportunity to choose whether or not to remain Catholic. Confirmation completes our full initiation as Catholic Christians (CCC 1306) and strengthens our ability to be missionary disciples through the reception of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
What do the specific Confirmation preparation sessions look like? There will be five Confirmation sessions that explore topics specifically related to preparing for the night of Confirmation, when the Holy Spirit will seal the candidate with the gift of the presence of God. These sessions are an important opportunity for the candidate to continue to develop their relationship with God in the presence of their parents and sponsor. These sessions take place throughout late winter and early spring as the Confirmation date approaches. The dates of these sessions are included to the right.
When does Confirmation preparation begin? When does it end? How long does it take? Most teens will begin completing the pre-requisites for Confirmation preparation immediately following their 8th-grade year. Many will choose to complete the process over a two-year period, be Confirmed in their 10th-grade year and continue to be involved in youth ministry in their 11th and 12th-grade years. Some students may choose to complete their preparation over their four years of high school.
What is the idea behind this approach to Confirmation preparation? Great question. We'd like to invite you to take a look at an article in the 2014 August Newsletter which highlights and explains the changes taking place for Confirmation at Holy Name of Jesus. Click here to check it out.
Is this preparation process for Confirmation enough? Many teens will find that they desire to grow in their faith in more ways that what is asked in HNOJ's Confirmation preparation process. These requirements are a minimum. We are called to be life-long disciples of Christ who continue to grow in love of God and neighbor through prayer, worship, study and service.
Why is there such a strong emphasis on retreats? Retreats are one of the most critical components of Confirmation preparation through HNOJ. Life can be a little crazy. Rarely do we take the time we need to get away from it all. Retreat experiences with HNOJ CREW are exactly that, opportunities to take a break, relax, think, talk and pray about who we are, why we are here and what our faith in Jesus has to do with it all. Retreats with the HNOJ community provide the environment for young people to have a personal and transformational encounter with Jesus Christ.
What is the Confirmation preparation interview? It is a lot less scary than it sounds. Think of it more as a conversation than a test. The youth ministry team at HNOJ wants to hear about your experience of Confirmation preparation, your relationship with God, and how you plan to live as a disciple of Jesus Christ following Confirmation.