Through HNOJ Christmas Giving, our community generously donates items for Operation Christmas Child, students at Ascension Catholic School and children at Sharing and Caring Hands and Mary’s Place through Santa’s Toy Box. From late October through mid-November, parishioners are encouraged to learn about each of these giving opportunities and consider generously contributing to any—or all!—of these important causes.
From Nov. 15-29, 2020, we collect items for Ascension Catholic School and Santa’s Toy Box all in one convenient place designated in the Gathering Space. **Now available - you can purchase from Ascension's wish list on Amazon, shipped directly to them! Purchases need to be received by Dec. 18. Access the wishlist here: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1L48R29P70138?ref_=wl_share **
This year, due to the pandemic, we will have a "Bring Back the Box Party" for Operation Christmas Child party on Wednesday, Nov. 18, from 5-7 p.m. See more information at https://www.hnoj.org/operation-christmas-child.
Giving to Ascension Catholic School
Ascension Catholic School is a place where students defy the odds. In the midst of poverty (86% of students qualify for free or reduced lunch), students are excelling academically, beyond state averages. In addition, 100% of Ascension students who recently finished eighth grade moved on to graduate high school. In place of our Ascension Gift Bag Program, this year we will collect items in bulk. You can donate basic items and toys for children at any grade level (K-8).
Examples of items include:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hats, mittens and gloves
- Crafts, playing cards and board games
- Sports Balls, Frisbees, sidewalk chalk, outdoor games
- Handheld electric games (if it takes batteries, please include extra)
- Action figures, Dolls (of color, please)
- Books (preferably books with characters of color) for all ages
- Grade-specific flash cards
- Gifts for students in Grades 6-8
Giving to Santa’s Toy Box
Santa's Toy Box serves children at Sharing and Caring Hands and Mary's Place. These children are homeless or in transition, and we can offer the comfort and care of Christmas through our contributions. The gifts you donate will make a big difference in the life of a child on Christmas morning! New and unwrapped gifts are needed for children of all ages (including teens).
Examples of toys and activities you can donate include:
Balls, Frisbees and Sports Toys (many children staying at Sharing and Caring right now are boys)
- Stuffed animals
- Dolls and Action Figures (of color, please)
- Craft items – jewelry/science crafts, modeling clay, markers, colored pencils (all ages)
- Board Games (all ages)
- Activity Books
- Hand-held puzzle games, hand-held electronic games (with batteries included)
- Gifts for Teens ages 13-16
- PLEASE NOTE: Many of the children in need are older pre-teens and teens